Tech Modded Zombies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End of the world party!

2 posters

Go down

End of the world party! Empty End of the world party!

Post  NightGlyde 20th December 2012, 4:20 am

I'm going to host an "End of the World" party on the 22nd of December. The end of the world is on the 21st of December, so hopefully I won't actually end up hosting it Razz

Since I'm not bothered paying everyone's airfares, the party will have to be online. Hopefully we'll be able to party on Techcraft, if Colm can fix the server in time.

Don't worry, I'm fairly certain that the world isn't going to end on the 21st of December 2012. Some people think the world is going to end because there were these really ancient people called the Mayans, and they had a calendar. This calendar works a bit like a digital clock.

On a digital clock, if the time is 7:59 am, then one minute later it will be 8:00 am. Some people converted time on the Mayan calendar to the system of time that we use today. The 21st of December 2012 will be the day when time measured using the Mayan Calendar changes from 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0

According to Mayan time, 12.19.19.17.19 plus 1 day is equal to 13.0.0.0.0

Some (rather silly) people think that the changing of 1 number from 12 to 13 on an ancient and obsolete way of measuring time means that the world is going to end. Some people think that the calendar "ending" on that day means that the world is going to end, but they aren't taking into account that the Mayans lived thousands of years ago so didn't have the knowledge and technology to know things such as when the world is going to end, and they aren't taking into account that the calendar isn't actually "ending", it is merely changing from 12 to thirteen like we would change calendars from 2012 to 2013 after new year's eve. If they think that it is because the number 13 is unlucky, they might not have realised that the frequency of occurrences of the number 13 has no effect on luck. There is no scientific proof or basis for this superstition.

According to today's scientists, the world isn't going to end yet. Why would we trust the word of a long dead race of people over the accumulated knowledge and scientific advances of the past few thousand years, and the really smart scientists we have today? The Mayan calendar isn't even going to end anyway, so there is no grounds for any of these so-called 'predictions'.

Join the party on the 22nd so that we can laugh at all those people who thought the world was going to end on the 21st Razz
NightGlyde
NightGlyde
Sergent
Sergent

Name : Night
Favourite Game(s) : Portal series, Minecraft, The Elder Scrolls... too many to list
Motto : Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.
End of the world party! Custombadgmoderator

Back to top Go down

End of the world party! Empty Re: End of the world party!

Post  Colm 20th December 2012, 10:10 am

NightGlyde wrote:-snip-

I would understand why people wouldn't go to any of your planned parties. First of all they'll have to read a wall of text, do some history and then go to the present day.

The server issue is 2 disk failures the very same second, main disk and backup disk both died. Trying to recover the disks and look for another disk to restore it onto for now. That's Terabytes of space!
Colm
Colm
!TMz!
!TMz!

Name : Colm David Overy
Favourite Game(s) : Halo Series, Minecraft, KSP and some other games
Motto : Life isn't about where you're from or where you're at. It's about where you want to go.
End of the world party! Custombadgefounder

Back to top Go down

Post  NightGlyde 20th December 2012, 3:47 pm

Both the main disk and backup disk failed simultaneously? That's an impressive malfunction. It seems likely that their separate failures were triggered by the same event. How can you restore data from a failed disk?
NightGlyde
NightGlyde
Sergent
Sergent

Favourite Game(s) : Portal series, Minecraft, The Elder Scrolls... too many to list

Back to top Go down

Post  Colm 20th December 2012, 4:00 pm

NightGlyde wrote:Both the main disk and backup disk failed simultaneously? That's an impressive malfunction. It seems likely that their separate failures were triggered by the same event. How can you restore data from a failed disk?

You can restore data from a failed disk, yes. It depends what the problem is by 'failed'. Since then, we've found that the disk actually died thus making it impossible for data recovery.

It is impressive as it's not the actual servers fault either. Tried 2 new disks and they worked without a problem. I'm going to say it's some amazing coincidence for now. The new backup technique will have 4 disks for the server. 1 Main disk, 3 backup disks.

Currently getting things set and we'll be using a 20th Sept 2012 TC 1 backup which I strongly apologise for. I'm going to have to update the server to 1.4 then 1.4.5 THEN 1.4.6.! Oh boy am I in for fun, here's my life gone till Christmas.

Anyhow, I plan to have the server up with the same ip soon.

Colm
Colm
!TMz!
!TMz!

Motto : Life isn't about where you're from or where you're at. It's about where you want to go.

Back to top Go down

Post  NightGlyde 20th December 2012, 4:02 pm

Did you lose all data of the server?
NightGlyde
NightGlyde
Sergent
Sergent

Back to top Go down

Post  Colm 20th December 2012, 4:06 pm

NightGlyde wrote:Did you lose all data of the server?

Indeed! Luckily I had a backup of TC 1 on my laptop otherwise it'll have to be started from scratch. It's going to be a pain to sort out. Many annoying things missing. Nether, nether building spawn, Creative world spawn and buildings people have made since.

Colm
Colm
!TMz!
!TMz!

Back to top Go down

Post  NightGlyde 20th December 2012, 4:10 pm

Oh dear... People are going to freak out. Maybe it is the end of the world Razz

Will you also have to redo the permissions and stuff?
NightGlyde
NightGlyde
Sergent
Sergent

Back to top Go down

Post  Colm 20th December 2012, 4:15 pm

NightGlyde wrote:Oh dear... People are going to freak out. Maybe it is the end of the world Razz

Will you also have to redo the permissions and stuff?

Permissions are backed up, they're not setup right but they'll get me started. Somethings might not be right as I'll have to try and remember how it went from memory and as everyone knows, I have the best memory in the world.

It's not the end of the world! It's just the end of my free time.
Colm
Colm
!TMz!
!TMz!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum